Saturday, September 05, 2015

Testimony. Our 2014 In One Page.

Shared this testimony on AG Connect (Jan 2015 issue); I'm posting the unedited version here. Be blessed! :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The year 2014 had been a year of high ups and pit downs. We had an exciting start to the year as we organized our first family trip overseas and had the time of our life! At the same time, we were offered opportunities to travel as well as a chance to be on a TV show; to top it off, we had just bought a place of our own and renovation works were going on. Soon, we moved in to our new nest and found out I was pregnant with our third baby, one whom we prayed for – a boy – and God answered our prayers! We were elated!

As we rejoice with the happenings and blessings in that season of our family life, one visit to the doctor’s during the first trimester have robbed our joy. The doctor told us that our baby could be a Down syndrome baby. One statement and suddenly, everything became bleak and hopeless as we didn't know what to expect or how to cope with such a child if what the doctor said was true. We won’t deny that abortion was one of the first things that crossed our minds. But God is good, during that dark period, He sent people – both friends and strangers – to encourage us through one sermon that hit home and word of affirmation that gave us courage. He told us to seek Him, trust Him and press on. It was a breakthrough since then and we regained hope to move on by faith.

The pregnancy was dull and I didn't enjoy it, because although I consciously chose to trust that His gift is perfect, the many what if’s were continuously bothering me. I was grumpy and felt a piece of me was missing. Things got almost unbearable for me towards the end of the pregnancy as I started experiencing severe vomiting, heartburn, and breathlessness; I couldn't sleep at night nor take solids, and I was constantly thirsty. This went on for about a month, all the while having 2 young daughters to take care of. If you asked me now how I went through it, I can only say God sustains.

On the 15th of December, my family realized something was amiss and insisted that I went to the hospital. On the 16th, the doctor told us that my liver, kidneys, and heart were getting weaker, hence an emergency c-sect had to be performed on me to deliver the baby.  On the 17th, the doctors confirmed that I was infected with leptospirosis (rat’s urine disease). At that time I was unconscious and was placed in ICU, doctors weren't able to give any hope that I would walk out of this alive. I was later told that had we left it untreated for another 2 more days, that’d be the end of me. The thought of dying due to this crazy, utterly random condition truly have me shudder in heartache and fear but God is amazing!

His hands were truly apparent in this entire ordeal and I'm humbled by His grace, mercy, love, and healing upon me and my family. I am so blessed with a wonderful husband, parents and family members who went through hell trying to hold the fort, and themselves, the entire time, for me and my children. Words can't describe the emotional turmoil they go through everyday not receiving confirmed positive news from the doctors regarding the progress of my health. I truly, sincerely thank God for them!

And that suspected Down syndrome baby? He was a perfect, healthy 6.8 pounder. Results showed that he wasn’t affected by nor was he the cause of the condition. I didn't get to see him until almost a week later but when we did, we both hit it off really well and I was so glad to be able to nurse him too. 

He was named Everett Micaiah Jason – Everett meaning courage, and Micaiah, who is like God? God gave us courage to carry him through despite the doctor’s suspicion. And if it wasn't for him, the outcome of the entire event will be very different. 

We wanted him to be brave, yet he was the one who gave us courage during the ordeal. And God, truly who is like Him? I almost lost my life and my family, His grace has preserved me! Doctors declared both Everett and I a clean bill of health and we were able to go home in time for Christmas.

Christmas 2014 was made meaningful for our family because God has given us an amazing gift and we realized, Jesus is the only reason for the season! 


1 comment:

Ying said...

Wow. 2015 must have been real tough for you. But I'm glad that all's well and that you'd continuously be blessed with happiness and love. Looking forward to meeting up soon. Maybe you can pick those pandan leaves and those chilli padi from your garden and pass it to me when you see me. :D